Category Archives: Tools

More exciting tools updates

Due to popular request, it’s time for more armips news! The changes this time around aren’t as big as last time, but they are still notable developments. It can now be used for PS2 games, and also on Unix platforms! Finally you aren’t restricted to just Windows anymore. Make sure to grab the latest revision on GitHub.

Speaking about PS2 games, some of you may know that I spent a lot of time on improving PPSSPP’s debugger last year, to help with a PSP project. Unfortunately, PSP wasn’t the only platform lacking a good debugger. The PS2 was especially poor off, the only PCSX2 version to have a debugger – and a pretty poor one at that – was several years old. Recent versions completely removed it. There was nothing left.

… until recently! I took it upon myself to write a completely new debugger for PCSX2, and a much better one than before. It has almost all the features PPSSPP had, including a builtin assembler and conditional breakpoints. So far it only works for the R5900, but that’s where most of the interesting stuff happens anyway. This will hopefully help future PS2 translation projects. You can get it by building PCSX2 or by downloading a prebuilt version.

pcsx2deb

As for project updates, there’s not a lot to say. I just finished my Bachelor Thesis, so time was rather scarce lately. One notable development, though, is that dds continued working on Kyuuyaku Megami Tensei 1 & 2. See this thread for updates, and he will comment on it on this blog later on too.

Releasing… armips

As usual, it’s been a while! I apologize for my trademark silence, but as everyone knows, it’s nothing unusual.

The previous armips version was released in 2010, and it was very well received at the time. Over the years, I kept adding small new features to it, and I think it’s a good time to release an update now. The most notable additions are static labels, which act like global labels but can be redefined in every file, and the possibility to make all file paths relative to the file that uses them (as opposed to the working directory). Everything together makes for a decently sized update. This is probably the final armips release.

Here are the changes:

  • added automatic optimizations for several ARM opcodes
  • many bugfixes and internal changes
  • added static labels
  • new directives: .warning, .error, .notice, .relativeinclude, .erroronwarning, .ifarm, .ifthumb
  • quotation marks can now be escaped in strings using \”.

SLPM_870.50_31032013_185553_0592Now that the exciting stuff is out of the way, let’s talk a bit about our translations! One game is often asked for, but it hasn’t been mentioned by me for quite a long time – Xenosaga 1&2. The translation is still progressing, and in fact, late last year, the story text was finished. However, there is still a lot of optional text left. The translation is progressing slowly, but the translator is as dedicated to the task as I am.

The game on the left hasn’t made a lot of progress lately, but hopefully that can change soon. I’ll try to at least upload some new media during the coming months.

Oh, I nearly forgot: We collaborated with Absolute Zero to bring you one of the most influential Tales games of the last decade, which just happened to be finished today – Tales of the Tempest! More about that on their site.

armips v0.7c released

It’s been a long time since I released the last version of my assembler, so I think it’s about time for an update. This version has been in private testing for over a year and many mistakes were corrected during that time, some new features were added, and old features were enhanced. I’d say it’s a much bigger improvement than the version number indicates. You will need the VS 2010 C++ redistributable to run this version.

Changes:

  • macros can now contain unique local labels
  • area directive added
  • added missing ARM opcode variations
  • countless bugfixes
  • no$gba debug message support
  • full no$gba sym support

{filelink=2}

There will be a bigger update next time, but I have no idea how long it will take. I will probably rewrite a good part of the core code to allow for more features and even more flexibility. One of them will hopefully and finally be PS2 support, and maybe even PSP support. If you have any feature requests, bug reports, or other things, just let me know and I will evaluate them.